Friday, August 10, 2012

Sturgis Bike Week: Days 5 & 6


It's been real busy the last couple days.  I wasn't able to blog last night, so I'll have to try and remember what happened again today.

Yesterday was pretty busy.  We had kids come in pretty close to the time we opened and had kids most of the whole day.  Part of the way through, I started shooting interviews of the workers for a promotional video I'm wanting to put together (hopefully it will help us to get some more volunteers next year).  Getting people to interview, however, is harder than it seems.  There are a few people that aren't comfortable in front of a camera or just don't have any time.  But usually they will agree.

When I interview someone, I try to make it like a conversation.  I ask questions and let the person being interviewed answer in his or her own words.  I can edit everything afterwards, which makes things a lot more flexible.  One of the biggest challenges I was faced with was finding an area that I could record in without too much background noise.  I had come to underestimate how loud Sturgis really is--motorcycles, airplanes, lawnmowers (since we are in the city park) bounce houses, kids, and wind, just to name a few of the problems.  But with enough searching, I found some relatively quiet locations to film in.

Of course, I couldn't actually start filming without any batteries in my audio recorder.  It had run out of charge and, of course, I had left all the backup batteries at home.  I asked around, and eventually Tim Greeley bought me some the next day, which postponed my filming longer than I wanted, but that's what I get for forgetting batteries at home!  Thanks, Mr. and Mrs. Greeley!

With that finished, I started interviewing people.  I got three interviews done on the first day and they seemed to go pretty well--even if they took most of my day to get them.  It is pretty difficult to move around with a whole camera + audio recording setup in one hand...

It was a fairly busy day that day, but things went well.  The kids show, too, went well, and I was able to make it through sound man duties pretty much trouble-free.

After the show, I went with a few others to Rapid City because we were headed for an indoor water park that night!  I had a great time going down water slides and playing with friends (even if it left me a little sore the next day).

It was cloudy the next morning, and stayed that way for most of the day.  Business was slower than usual, but I used that to my advantage to get a couple interviews in.  Also, I helped Steve-O with his video blog on filming Dad.  We had done it the day before, but it somehow must have gotten deleted, so we had to re-shoot.  This morning, no one could keep a straight face, and as Steve-O needs it all in one continuous take, it took a very long time to get everyone sober and everything just right.

After Dad he interviewed me and my sister together.  It's different on the other side of the camera--having to think of what to say, saying it right and doing so quickly...it puts a different kind of pressure on you.  Rather than filming it all, you're the one being filmed, and you're the one making content for people to watch.
I thought I did okay, even though it took a couple takes (not nearly as long as Dad's interview went).

Rain clouds started to gather toward the afternoon.  The wind picked up too strong, so we had to take down the bounce houses.  As it picked up and started raining, we also began to put away the tents and electronics, along with anything that might blow away.

By the time the kids show was about to start, no one wanted to be outside.  So, instead, we went mostly off-script and just had the show indoors!  It went better than I would have thought and the kids had a great time.  We still had a game and Dad was able to preach to the kids.  The show almost seemed normal except for the closed space and lack of any microphones or music.

With most of the closing down done, we just prayed after the show and pretty much were done.  Afterward, we had an Honor Bound Motorcycle Ministry meeting that last for almost an hour.  It was nice to talk to adults and, as a member, almost talk as though I were one.  I took notes for the most part, however, even though I did say something or bring up a topic now and then.

Then everyone left for supper, so now I'm back at the pavilion on security.  The rain picked up a little while ago pretty hard and I had to start moving stuff away from the edges to keep it from getting wet.  A father and his son came in looking for shelter from the rain and I was able to give them a Bible lesson and let them color a motorcycle coloring page while they waited for it to subside a little.  I talked with the parent for a while, and he said he would try and come back tomorrow after I told him what we normally do here.  It felt kind of good to know I might have helped someone come to our ministry...

Anyway, that's pretty much all that's happened so far.  Just waiting for everyone to come back, then it's off to the Sturgis Church so I can go to bed in their basement with everyone else!  It's a little scary to think that Sturgis is nearly over; but I will enjoy it as long as I can!

By the way, don't forget to check out Steve-O's blogwhichever video you see, I was probably holding the camera!  (Unless, of course, you find the one in which I am interviewed...)

No comments:

Post a Comment