Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sturgis Bike Week: Day 4


Today started off slower than any of the other days yet.  The sky was clear, the bounce houses were up, the Kidz Zone was open--but no kids.  Not for the first couple hours, at least.  When kids did come, I actually felt like we weren't quite as short staffed as we are, just because it was going pretty slow.  I'm hoping it's just because this is the middle of the week...

But I was glad for a slow day.  I think all of us felt a little drained this morning--I was ready to go back to bed for a good part of the morning!  But I knew I had a job to do, so I went about my business.

We completed the show meeting early since we had the time.  Today was "Race Day," where we bring out a Hotwheels race track and buy some toy cars and race them.  This has been a particularly well accepted game in years past and we kind of look forward to it.  We also had a professional motorcycle racer called Rich Vreeland come and talk to the kids a couple years ago on this day.  Both of those contribute to our having made it a sort of annual event.

We had fun racing cars (and judging by the kids' cheers of excitement, I'd say they did, too).  The kids show went pretty well, and I was able to play music on my queues correctly!  After the show, we had another water fight.  I keep staying out of it to take pictures and videos of it, but I do want to participate at least once.  I just can't pass up the chance to splatter kids in the face with water balloons and have them wanting more!
While on security tonight (everyone else was gone doing laundry...can't say I was sad to miss that) I saw a few guys pull up near our RV on their bikes.  They looked like normal people, but I was pretty cautious.  After calling, Dad told me to just keep an eye on them.  Eventually, Chaplain D-No came by and went over to a bench to watch them closer.  Soon everyone came back, and then the others cleared away.
Well, it's been a few days and I'm starting to feel tired--the tired that lasts longer than morning or evening and kind of just stays in the back of your head.  But I am still having a great time, and I know it's only a week!  That's a good thing and a bad thing sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment