Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sturgis Bike Week: Day 3


As the days go by, the general pattern of Sturgis begins to set in--getting up, setting up and working wherever we are needed all day.  It's not really a bad thing...it helps to get used to things.  However, it seems like once things settle in and we all know what to do, that's when the time goes by the fastest.

Today was slower than yesterday.  It started out cloudy and as the morning progressed it even rained just a little (but not enough to have to take down the bounce houses, thankfully).  While it was cloudy, we had almost no kids.  But an hour later, when the clouds cleared away a little, people started to come in more steadily.

I was busy most of the morning and could not help monitor the bounce houses until almost lunchtime.  First, I was setting the sound equipment up.  That was the last big thing on my list of what I had to set up.  Then Dad brought in a brand new printer (which he found for around $30--which I thought was a great deal for the kind of printer we got).  I spent much of the morning creating forms and printing them out.  One of them was to keep track of the kids' points.  Kids can get points by doing various activities here at the Kidz Zone, from bringing other people or doing Bible lessons to just attending a kids show.  Those points are then counted up for each kid and they go toward the grand prize of an Mp3 Player that we are giving away at the end of the week to the kid who has worked up more points than anyone else.

Sometime in the later morning Steve-O asked me to come with him so he could show me something he had done with our advertising signs over by the road.  When we got there, I saw he had hung up the "Kidz Zone" sign right below the city park sign.  We took turns taking pictures of it and of the road filled with motorcycles with both of our cameras, which I found to be pretty fun.  He also showed me his tripod that turns into a monopod on the way, which I thought was pretty cool.

After lunch, it was only a short time before I was called over to help prepare for the show(These days go by so fast!).  We haven't really had much of a schedule made at any point, but Dad is pretty good at choosing a theme and then adapting the materials and skits to fit that theme.  We have classics from years past and this year also have a new act or two that we use.  Even though we are using essentially the same equipment every year, Dad is always coming up with new ways to make the programs original and interesting.

However, as we don't have a set routine or anything I usually have to prepare music and sounds on the fly.  Each character or puppet has a different song that come out to and sometimes leave to, so I have to prepare those and queue them.  I used to bring out my laptop for that, but now I have a tablet of sorts (actually a Nook Tablet that I tweaked so it runs on android like a normal tablet), so I just bring that out and create a playlist on it, which helps keep things organized and queued when I need them ready.  As long as I have a few minutes it is usually no problem to get things ready by showtime.

I was going to record a whole show on my camcorder, but I figured out today why it quit working in the middle of yesterday's recording:  the battery ran out.  And, as I only just figured that out minutes before the show started, I couldn't record anything today--just take pictures.  I was, however, able to hook up an audio recorder directly into the system, so anything that was said into any microphones was recorded right into my device!  I was also able to hook up some earbuds and hear exactly what was being said.  I thought that was a pretty nifty trick!

I always have a hard time telling exactly when to play music or have a character come in.  Sometimes Dad tells me beforehand just to interrupt him at some point, but when the time comes I can't tell if he is still saying something that the kids need to hear or if he's stalling and waiting for me to play the music...this can be pretty disruptive to the show if I get it wrong (which I have been known to do on occasion).  Yesterday was, I'll admit, a little patchy, but today I feel I did better.  There was one point where the situation I described above about Dad stalling and waiting for me to start the music happened.  However, he remedied the situation by banging on the stage a couple times, which absolutely confirmed my suspicions that he was waiting for me.  Aside from that part, I did do better than yesterday.  Of course, in years past, just when I think I have it down pretty well, the week is up.  I'll just do the best I can while I'm here.

Everything wound down pretty much as expected.  After the show we had a brief water fight (pretty much the helpers get to squirt the kids with water or throw water balloons at them).  I helped Steve-O with his video message to his church again by holding the camera for him.  We closed down pretty quickly and before I knew it a lot of the team was leaving.  Those of us who stayed talked together for quite a while (guess that's what happens when you get Dad together with friends he doesn't see often from all round the country).  After that, we went to Pizza Hut and everyone got to eat at the buffet and pig out after a hard day of work.

Now I'm back here again in the pavilion watching the supplies.  Dad said I'll probably end up watching this stuff for a lot of the week before going to bed each night.  That gives good amount of time to blog and look at my pictures in the evenings as I am doing now.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to record a whole kidz show like I've been trying to for a couple days now.  There's always been just one or two problems, but I think I'll have them all solved by showtime tomorrow.
Well, I'm excited for the week ahead.  It may be a lot of work, but I know that in the end it's always worth it!

By the way, if you'd like to see today from another's point of view, here's Steve-O's blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment