Wednesday, July 10, 2013

General Update--July, 2013

Time goes by fast when you're busy; I've been juggling a several major things that have kept me on my toes for a few weeks now.  I'll just lay it out here:

First, probably the single thing that has most affected my time and schedule every day, I just got a second job, thanks to a friend who got a job at the same location and referred me.  It's kind of a dream job to me--I work at a place called Data-Com Solutions in Fowler.  We work on computers there--fixing computers, building them, cleaning out viruses, optimizing systems, and serving several professional businesses all around the area that have huge computing needs.  My boss is kind of the go-to computer guy in the area, and he has been helping for years.  But now he is getting so much business that he needs help.  I've been interested in computers and have been working with them for years, so he hired me on.  I love it so far, and am learning a whole lot.  However, it seems the more I know, the more I know I don't know!  (If that makes any sense...)

The day that I was filming the rodeo mentioned in my last post, Forrest Rowell (you'll see him in the video below) saw me shooting the event and asked if I would be willing to film an event for him the Saturday after next.  I tried to finish my rodeo project before that day, but things were just too busy and I wasn't able to finish it at that point.  So for a while I had two jobs going on at once, but I finished with the rodeo quickly.  The work I did with Forrest was for the "7 Project," and you can find out all about it in the video below.

The Saturday after I filmed the 7 Project I was scheduled to film a wedding, so I tried to make as much progress on that video as I could in the time that I had (which is what the below video is) before I had yet another job to edit.

Weddings are kind of strange; I like them but I also dislike them.  On one hand, they are so full of fast-paced fun that at the end of the day you can't even remember it all--it's a blur.  On the other hand, it is one of the most stressful events a person ever has to go through!  Even more so for the photographer/film maker who is trying to make money and do a professional job at events like these.  But I did my best, went through the whole wedding, and got the best shots I could.  At weddings, that's really all you can do!

It seems like everyone scheduled weddings around the same time this year; one week later I found myself running around filming another wedding!  Same thing, though, I did the best I could at the time in the circumstances with what I had, and I think I did a pretty good job.

All of this running around has made me log some serious miles on my bike in a relatively short period of time, which really is a good thing.

If filming were the whole job, if I could just say that I'm done after the hard day's work, I'd probably have a pretty open schedule. But there is a huge amount of work that goes on after the wedding, too.  I have to put the video clips, audio recordings and music--along with creating my own titles and DVD menus--into a professional looking product that I can sell.  It takes longer than the actual day of shooting the wedding--much longer. 

So it's been a one of the most fun, most busy, most difficult times of my life.  I'm still working on a bunch of video projects and am trying to get them done for the clients in a timely manner, but it's pretty difficult to balance all of the responsibilities I now find myself with.  However, I think when I'm through this set of projects I will come out for the better.

Here's the 7project video I mentioned earlier--let me know what you all think!

90-sec Ad Promo for YouTube from Zachary Hubbell on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment