Friday, November 16, 2012

Home-Built PC

My dad and I are working on a new project:  build a video editing desktop from scratch.  We have looked for a decent (or, preferably, really great) computer that would take just about any task we could throw at it and have it just eat it.  I've looked for a couple years at the best value setup I could get, but nothing seemed to quite work.  Then we started looking at just building our own--researching the parts, buying it all, assembling it piece by piece and then putting the operating system on it.  While it costs to get the really good components, I searched and searched until I found a good setup with all the parts we need at a lower price than anyone else can offer.
Apparently, this is what the inside of our
processor (Intel Core i7) looks like.
Image from:
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/processors
/1281844/intel-core-i7-2600k

We've ordered all the parts now, and they have finally arrived at the house.  I personally think that was the hardest part, but I hear assembly can be a huge task of it's own.  I'm sticking to the PC building guide as much as I can to ensure that we will end up with a smooth, working, huge computing machine!  I can't wait to get working on it...

Also, just wanted to mention that the house is still coming along.  Right now we are in the stages of fixing it up before we move in full force.  It's always a process...

I have a photo job coming up as well during early December taking Christmas portraits.  This is one of my biggest income sources from a single job, so I am excited about it.  Last year I bought a portable photo studio setup and got the basics of selling people photographs laid out:  What size of prints they want, how many, if they want a digital copy, and (one of the hardest parts), figuring out how much to charge.  I don't want to make people unhappy and overcharge for my services, yet at the same time I do want to make some decent profit, at least enough to cover the costs of the equipment I purchase for the event (which, naturally, those costs were pretty high last year because I had to buy so much equipment.  This year ought to be a little less expensive).

I've shopped around some and found a backdrop that I thought looks good.  If I can find some Christmas-ey props, I think it will look great when I put it up with my photo studio.  And with my software, I'll be able to touch up more photos at once in less time!  I hope it goes well...

Looking forward to the next few days and weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment